Have you ever struggled with anxiety? Big or Small? I have and if I’m honest, it sometimes is a daily struggle. Merriem-Webster defines anxiety as being afraid or nervous especially about what may happen.
Did you catch that??
Being afraid or nervous especially about what MAY happen. MAY… not will… MAY.
Isn’t it crazy that anxiety is caused most of the time by things that haven’t even happened and in all reality may NEVER happen??? I think sometimes we walk in fear because we connect the pain we have felt to the fear of being hurt or damaged again. It’s hard not to be anxious during heavy seasons. Habbakuk understood this. If you want to dig deeper into the story of Habbakuk you can do that here. 🙂
So how do we combat these anxious thoughts? Pray. And then pray some more.
Here are my five favorite verses to pray over my life when I’m anxious.
1. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philippians 4:6
This verse reminds us to stop and remember that God is listening.
2. “ Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” Colossians 3:2-4
When we set our mind on things above, and remember that our life is hidden with Christ, we can release the anxious thoughts surrounding our situation.
3. ” Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.” Psalm 55:22
It brings peace knowing that God will not let us be shaken in a world that looks hopeless. He will sustain us through each circumstance.
4. “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.” Psalm 4:8
Our minds run wild in the evening hours. I literally speak this verse every night before I go to sleep. It reminds me that God has me and he keeps me wrapped safely in his love.
5. “The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Exodus 14:14
Sometimes our anxiety stems from the battle we are facing. Speaking Exodus 14:14 over our lives reminds us that God will fight for us… and that takes the pressure of and gives us the freedom to walk in peace.
What is your favorite verse to pray when you are anxious? Leave a comment!